Monday, May 31, 2010

Welcome Tessa!

Since this is not only our blog, but also our family journal I'm going to include Tessa's birth story along with LOTS of pictures. Be warned, you are about to see lots of pictures of our little addition.

On Friday, May 21st Barrett and I headed the University of Utah Hospital at 7:30 a.m. to be induced. Once we arrived, they checked us in and took us to our room and had the IV and pitocin started by 8:00 a.m. I was dilated to a 2 and about an hour and half later I was having regular strong contractions so I had the epidural put in. My epidural did not work as well as it did with Luke but at least it took the edge off and made it so I wasn't in pain just a little uncomfortable. Anyway, at about 11:30 a.m. I was still dilated to a 2 so they came in and broke my water and they said that that should get things going and to expect to dilate about a cm an hour. They told me I should probably deliver in a few hours. I thought this was the perfect time for Barrett to run and grab some lunch so he headed down to the cafeteria. He had been gone for about ten minutes and all of a sudden I got a really strong contraction and felt like I needed to push. It didn't really register what was happening, I just thought my epidural wasn't working. Thank goodness about 5 minutes later Barrett walked through the door. He said he went down to the cafeteria to eat and was starving but nothing looked good so he came back to the room. By this time about 35 minutes had passed since they broke my water and the urge to push became stronger and stronger so I finally called the nurse. Well, our nurse had also gone to lunch so the charge nurse came in and when I told her I felt like I needed to push she gave me the courtesy "well lets check to see how far you are dilated" but you could tell she didn't think I was anywhere near ready to push. Well she checked me and said that the baby was right there and she was going to page my doctor. I had gone from a 2 to a 10 in about 20 minutes much to everyones surprise! My doctor was finishing up a surgery so they re dosed my epidural so that I could hold off pushing until he arrived. He got to our room at about 12:40, and after 4 pushes out she came! I couldn't believe it, it took me 4 hours of pushing to get Luke out! So Tessa Ruth Morley was born May 21st at 12:50 p.m. weighing 7 lbs exactly and 19 and 1/2 inches long. She came out screaming and screaming and we fell in love instantly!

A few things we have learned about little Tess in the past week since she joined our family:
*She does not like to be left alone, she wants to be held and snuggled ALL the time
*She is really patient when being smothered by her loving big brother
*She loves her Binky
*She is really mellow and quiet as long as she is being held
*She has won all 3 of us over, we are definitely in love with this little girl

Hospital Pics right after she was born

Big brother meeting little sister for the first time. He was so cute with her, he kept kissing her and saying "I can't believe she finally came out of your tummy mom"
Our first family picture
Luke hung out with us for awhile in our room, he thought it was pretty cool
Three days old


Luke had such a fun week playing with family and friends (a huge thank you to everyone that helped us out and took Luke for us throughout the week) that by the end of the week he was so tired he fell asleep at the dinner table. Barrett snuggled him for a few minutes on the couch, I can't believe how big and grown up Luke is getting.
One week old
Trying on a bow for the first time!
Such a good big brother, he wants to constantly help and take care of her
Just love these two, I am such a lucky mom!

10 comments:

The Lymans said...

You do the bow thing very well. You will get a lot of practice with all that hair! She is adorable and has changed so much is just a week. So happy for you!

Heather said...

She is the cutest baby ever! Thanks for letting us hold her last week. It was a fun week. We had lots of fun with Luke too! He is a great big brother.

Jen said...

She is so cute! Congrats! You gotta love the quick deliveries! =)

natalie palmer said...

oh my goodness becca, how do you have the cutest babies? she is a doll. i LOVE the 3 day old pic. and how cute is luke with her? i have to be honest... it made me a bit emotional. i can't wait for scott to be an older brother and i hope he's as good as luke is. :) congrats!

jerseygirl said...

Becca, congrats!! she is beautiful!

jerseygirl said...

Becca, congrats!! she is beautiful!

Reba said...

Steph and I knew that if we left town you would have that baby! She is such a doll. I cant wait to come meet her in person!

Mom and Kenz said...

Oh my goodness... she just gets more and more beautiful. I do love the bow!

thederricks said...

Cute pictures! I can't believe all of her hair! Luke looks like he is taking to being a big brother very well!

Meliss said...

ADorable. I love her double chin Bec. She could not be more perfect. I am very happy for you.