Anyway, so that takes us to his appointment today. We went and saw Dr. John Smith who specializes in Scoliosis. He took a look at Luke's x-rays and examined his back, tummy, and hips. Luke was a very good boy during all of this, he just stared at the doctor trying the figure out what the heck he was doing. Dr. Smith explained to us that there are two types of Infantile Scoliosis. One type is progressive and needs to be treated immediately and the other type will spontaneously correct itself as the infant gets stronger and sits and stands up (we have noticed that he doesn't arch as much as he used to.) Dr. Smith told us that he thinks that Luke's curve will correct itself on its' own and that no treatment is necessary!!!!! We just have to go back in four months for some follow up x-rays and we're supposed to play with him sitting or standing up as much possible in order to strengthen his back. Dr. Smith was able to determine that Luke had the type of Scoliosis that would correct itself because his ribs are symmetrical on both sides and his vertabrae are all normal and intact. While Infantile Scoliosis is very rare (only 1 in every 10,000 infants have it), Dr. Smith said that among those that have it it is most common in large, first born, male infants. That definitely describes Luke. While they don't have an explanation why infants may develop curved spines, Dr. Smith said that because Luke was such a big baby he was probably very scrunched inside of me which made his spine curve as he grew (I could have told you that.) Now hopefully we can get him on our insurance plan in stead of COBRA.
A huge thank you to all of you who kept Luke in your prayers. We appreciate it more than you will ever know.
Pictures of Luke watching Bob the Builder before we took him to the doctor. Can you believe that he is only three months old?
2 comments:
He is such a big kid! Wow! But so dang adorable. I'm glad to hear everything went well at the doctor's appointment. I didn't know he had scoliosis, I'm so sorry!
That's such great news! I've never heard of any of that but I know what it's like to take a newborn to a specialist and all the anxiety invovled- Kennedy was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis when she was 3 weeks old and had to have emergency surgery. After that she was great.
BTW- I love Luke's shoes with the green shirt and jeans, so cute!
Post a Comment